Typical type of fishing boat in SL.
Long, long nets being pulled in, this is just one side of the team. Apparently the part they are pulling in in this photo is the skinny part and it funnels into a larger part that they pull in last. (I think that makes sense)
Mama & Little Boy
He is really cute.
Team Fisherman carrying nets on long driftwood poles.
Some fish.
Hauling in the heavy bit. Not sure what is up with the guy wearing a hard hat....
Another fish.
Both teams working the same net. Yes, it's really big and goes all the way in the water between the two teams. A whole different version of tug-o-war, especially when the ocean, fish and rubbish get to play.
Another fish, well, at least I think it's a fish...
Fish with large scary teeth. This was not a small fellow either.
Our group, with the market women in the background. They come directly to the ocean to pick up their goods. And use their fish buckets to sit in while they wait (multi-use).
People waiting to get baptized in the ocean.
Poor truck that fell in the gutter. Driving is pretty crazy over here. This is along the road on the way to the port gate. Knocked most of the cinder block wall down. Bummer. Strangely enough, it was gone the next day though. We were taking bets on how long it would stay there too.....hmm...
I mentioned that I got to go out last weekend too. This was also fun, but just walking around the city for a couple of hours with a few other ladies. I stopped for a while to barter with a guy on some Christmas presents and the older ladies thought that was pretty entertaining. Always glad to pass on the skills I've learned so far. It's going to be strange going back home and having to pay the marked price. To a point, it really fun getting to know the shop owner and building real connections with the person it is actually benifitting instead of having the money go to a large corporation. Yay for small business owners!
Once again, I'm open to any questions you all may have for me. I kind of have just been telling you of my adventures so far, but feel free to ask anything.
Things to pray for:
*Continued unity and communication between departments on the ship.
*The health of the Crew and their families.
*All the patients & staff down in the wards.
Thank you all again for your continued encouragement and support! Oh and I finally bought my ticket back 'home'! I will be flying into Seattle on Dec. 22! I'm excited to be back in WA, but not yet ready to leave the ship. Don't want to 'jump ship' too early! haha
Oh yeah, and also a shout out is due to David Peterson for letting me use his photos!















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.