So, I went for my final hour of walking on the dock in Sierra Leone last night. While I was walking i noticed a small commotion around the big garbage container and I realized that there was a literal rat fight going on over there. We had a pre-sail briefing yesterday afternoon & the Captain mentioned that we are to get rid of any rubbish that we might still have before we sailed so it must have been all the new rubbish that people were quickly getting rid of before we left. Must have been some good stuff to cause a rat fight... I bet those plump little guys are missing us already. Poor little fellas are going to starve without us. Not that I would want to bring them along with us, absolutely not. Although i did see a puppy the other day that I wouldn't mind adopting... it was pretty clean and good looking too... just have to do a little de-bugging and we're golden! I don't think the ship would appreciate my efforts very much though, but we would be bringing 'hope and healing' and taking it with us instead of leaving it there, isn't that alright? Like a souvenir! I don't think my Mom & Dad would be very keen on getting another dog either, not to mention Cleo (current dog). Guess it's too late anyways.
Last weekend I went with some friends to Banana Island again for one last adventure. We had a great time & the guys made us some excellent pork cooked over charcoal, the best I've had in a LONG time! Got some sun, excellent photos and spent some quality time with my good friend Melinda. A weekend well done in my opinion.
A new development has happened in my life in the last few weeks. I really feel called to stay with Mercy Ships a little longer, but don't necessarily feel like I'm supposed to go back to the ship. Therefore, I'm leaving WA in early-mid January to road trip down to work at Mercy Ships National office in Texas and will stay there for a few months and return before the new Baby Langstraat is due to be born in early June (congrats Matt & Melly). I'm excited to see God at work in this step of faith that I'm taking and very nervous at the same time. Please keep me in your prayers as this is opening a whole new, unsure world for me.
I'm taking Mon & Tues off this week to spend a little time on the deck enjoying the fact that we are now sailing on the Atlantic ocean. Hoping to see some whales, dolphins, turtles and More flying fish (adding to the ones I've already seen today). No signs of seasickness yet. I did pop a pill this morning, so maybe the prevention method is a good one, except a nap took up about 1 1/2 hours of my afternoon b/c the waves literally just rock me to sleep. A few around the ship are pretty green at the gills and overall it's pretty funny watching everyone walk around the ship, especially in the dining room where people are trying to balance food & drinks! Makes for some good people watching, that's for sure. Maybe I'll take a video & post it when i get back home. Only 12 days until i get home....
Thanks Mona, It's been a long time since I've seen one of your entries. I was off line for several months so may have missed some. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Love ya, Bon AKA Bonnie VanFossen
ReplyDeleteHey Mona,
ReplyDeleteIf you happen to road trip through Albuquerque, NM on your way down to Texas, let me know, It'd be great to see you and I'd like to hear about your recent adventures.
Matt Buys